Born to Be Wild This Way

A couple months ago, my SL existence changed with the news that I was selected to be a Miss Virtual World 2013 finalist. It has been an awkwardly exhilarating journey so far with figuring out who will design my final gowns and hair; who will take my MVW photographs; how I'll manage my time for everything, etc. The first two weeks after the selection was a whirlwind of press with an interview for Associated Press SL and my first photo shoot for Best of SL Magazine. Everything felt so surreal, but considering it's Second Life, that's not really a surprise. After all, I role play as a fairy half of the time so suddenly becoming Miss Virtual Canada shouldn't seem too weird...

Actually, I misspoke when I said "suddenly." This is not some random overnight success story. In fact a lot of candidates are just like me. We faced crushing rejection in previous years of vying for a shot at Miss Virtual World but persevered until we made it. However, I do feel fortunate in that I made it during my second year of modeling. It was upsetting last year when I couldn't even make it past the photo round. I understand how easy it is to fall into the evil trap of thinking "oh well if only I had the money for a top notch photographer..." or "well if I was part of the inner circle of BOSL..." when you fail because it is a hard pill to swallow. Failure never goes down easy, but it's not meant to feel good. Failure is a necessary evil because it pushes you to work harder for success. It took a year and a drastic makeover, but it happened because I didn't allow myself to wallow in self-pity or jealousy.

Now despite this being my third pageant of the year, every challenge is a first for me. Interviews are still strange because quite frankly I don't talk about myself all that often, but I don't mind them. I would be lying if I didn't admit the attention feels good when people respond positively to them. It's always nice to be recognized for your achievements. I also really loved my photo shoot for Best of Second Life with Bodza Mubble, who happens to be Miss Hungary in the pageant this year. I thank her for a beautiful photo of me all decked out in biker apparel. I don't know that I nailed the style of "biker chic" but I had fun doing it regardless. I'll post more of my styles as the competition continues along, so keep on reading and feel free to follow my blog and my journey throughout Miss Virtual World.


Hair base: MADesigns Hair
Pants: Riddle
Gloves: Lush Limited
Earring: je suis (temporarily closed)
Eyeliner: Cheap Makeup
Bracelet: KOSH
Tattoo: Nemezi

Comments

Popular Posts